A Sonnet for Glenn Gould

[This is forwarded from Usenet.]

Subject: A Sonnet for Glenn Gould
From: jeremy.cook@erols.com
Date: 1998/12/06
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings

Glenn Gould, I have been bombarded with an overwhelming number of emails
requesting that I memorialize the occasion with a poem.  OK, so maybe it
was my own idea and there weren't any emails.  What's it to you?  :-)

I humbly offer the newsgroup:

A Sonnet for Glenn Gould
------------------------
What heated debate continues to rage,
Oe'r the merits and vices of Glenn Gould!
Was he a great pianist of our age?
Or a swindler who had the public fooled?
Proponents laud the artist Quixotic,
Penning multi-syllabic epistles;
Whilst critics paint him evil, robotic,
Hurling fiery barbs and verbose missiles.
All civility abandon, I warn,
Ye who enter this truculent debate;
Each camp is to the very last breath sworn,
To give no quarter, but to abrogate!
	Still, to one agreement both sides have come:
	"You must admit, that guy could really hum!"

(end of original message)

You can view this message and the related discussion by following this link:
http://www.dejanews.com/=zzz_maf/dnquery.xp?search=thread&svcclass=dnserver&recnum=%3c366A78B5.7E46@erols.com%3e%231/1
We hope to see you soon at Deja News, the discussion network.
http://www.dejanews.com/=zzz_maf/

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums