Re: GG: Bringing Out Voices

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, randall smith wrote:

> "The Kazdin Book". Is it any good? And is it available in the UK?

The actual title is:

"Glenn Gould at Work, Creative Lying"
by Andrew Kazdin

ISBN 0-525-24817-X

As Karl mentioned, it's been out of print for a while, so a
net search will probably be in order to locate a copy.

I like the book because it is the only one written by someone
who was actually a partner in the recording process, a process
of paramount importance to Gould and his artistic legacy. If you
have any interest in music engineering or technical aspects of Gould's
work, it's really the best resource (not) available.

The downside, of course, is that the tone of the work is quite often
vitriolic.  GG dumped Andy Kazdin (rather uncerimoniously)
as his producer in the early 80's and one senses that, after
a 25-yr. long association, Kazdin wasn't all too happy about
that.  In fact, the book came out in 1989 and the ill-feeling
toward (the long-dead) GG is quite palpable.  Nonetheless, it's
a valuable read and there are many good insights.

I think I may have mentioned before that I once appoached Kazdin
at an AES meeting with a copy of the Marienleben album for him to
sign.  Not only did he not sign it, but he said something to the
effect of: "well....what can I tell you about this....he's dead,
she's not...".  At the time I was somewhat puzzled by that response,
but not after reading the book.

jh