GG: Wagner, transcriptions

> Andrew Thayer
>
> PS. Does anyone know if Gould wrote his transcriptions down, or if they
> have been dictated? I am also having trouble getting the Gould videos,
> which are delisted in Great Britain. Does anyone know any way of getting
> them now? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello and greetings - I am new to the list - joined a few weeks ago (I am a
concert pianist with a strong interest in Gould's art).  Regarding his
transcriptions, since I was interested in possibly performing them, I did
make a few inquiries a couple of years ago.

A woman from Schott in Germany wrote me that there is someone there who is
looking over Gould's transcriptions and that work is in progress, but it
will probably take a while before you see any of them published.

I did personally make a trip to the National Library of Canada in Ottawa to
do a little research, and found a possibly incomplete transcription by Gould
to Richard Strauss' "Metamorphosen" (I'm also working on a transcription of
this piece myself), which I believe was one of Glenn's favorite Strauss
compositions.

Judging from the handwriting, I'm not surprised that his transcriptions
haven't been published yet - it's definitely going to take some work.  I
guess with a transcription you have the added element of not only Gould's
manuscript but the score of the original work to factor in as well, which
can be helpful in deciphering Gould's scrawl, but also one more thing to
check and proof against.

I didn't find any Wagner transcriptions at the National Library, but perhaps
these are in Germany with Schott.  I guess it would make sense that if I
found this Strauss one that others, too, were written down by Glenn and not
just played by memory or off an orchestral score.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding my notes, e-mails, etc. on this
topic on my computer at the moment, so I am writing all this from memory.
If anybody is really interested, I can dig a little harder.

It would be possible to write out Glenn's piano transcriptions from a
recording by ear ... if that's what you mean by "dictated" ... at least I
have sufficient ear-training to do this, and I imagine others could as well.
But if Gould manuscripts do exist, of course, there would be no need to go
through that sort of work.

Michael

Michael Arnowitt
4 Wilder Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05602  USA
arnowitt@sover.net