GG: Burlington By-pass

Dear f_minors,

My translation of GG Letters is coming to completion.
It will be published in January 1999, and I am checking
the galley proofs and add some info to the footnotes.

Being a Japanese, unfamiliar to the Canadian life,
let me ask you a geographical question of Canada.

In the letter to David Rossiter at the branch of CBS in UK,
dated June 26, 1975 (English edition, p.221ff):

>What can I tell you about Hamilton today?  Well, lacking your
>present age, I can't be sure how long you've been away
>but it's a fair gamble that you've missed the thrill of taking
>the Burlington by-pass minus the toll-gates which were
>removed a few years ago. . . .

Could anyone give me comments for the sentences?

What does the "Burlington by-pass" refer to?
Here in Tokyo, I have checked maps of Ontario,
and found out the city of Burlington is located
between Toronto and Hamilton.
Where is the by-pass?
Is it the Burlington Bay James Allen Skyway?
Did GG enjoy driving there?

Thank you advance.

Regards,

Junichi