Creative lying?

Hello everyone!

I joined f-minor mailing list yesterday. I don't know whether you previously had  any members from Finland, but now you do. I am 21 years old college graduate and I've been playing piano, mostly Bach, for 16 years. I fell in love with Glenn's playing when I was in my teens. I have listened the 1982 Goldbergs probably hundreds of times. Anyway, I got a couple of questions to ask: are the first Goldbergs by Gould as good? Is the first record worth of buying since I got the 1982 variations already?

    I recently read the book Glenn Gould plays: creative lying, by Andrew Kazdin. I found the book very interesting, but somehow I got an impression that the author was somewhat bitter about the way Glenn treated people (and the author himself). Then I've read many interviews and such in internet, and most people who knew Glenn did not feel that way at all. Does the book give, in your opinion, an accurate picture of Glenn? Any other opinions about the book?

Pardon my bad English,
Mikko

P.S. Some excerpts from Glenn's records can be listened in RealAudio at
http://www.hpc.ntua.gr/~akav/cd_gallery