Re: Creative lying?

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Mikko Sorsa wrote:

> I have listened the 1982 Goldbergs probably hundreds of times.
> Anyway, I got a couple of questions to ask: are the first Goldbergs by
> Gould as good? Is the first record worth of buying since I got the
> 1982 variations already?

I would say so. While I, personally, prefer the 81 variations (they are
1981, right?), I also get a lot of enjoyment out of the first set. I
particularly enjoy the aria at a faster tempo, as well as the slower one
Gould uses in the 81 set. I think you'd really enjoy the comparison.
Sometimes his tempos are radically different, sometimes different voices
come out. While I love the 81 set because it is so cohesive and
beautifully conceived, I think his youthful voice comes out so well in the
earlier set.

Welcome to the list!

-Lindsey Orcutt
lindseyo@aracnet.com