Re: Goldberg Variations

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:35:58 -0500, you wrote:

>I saw the review in Gramaphone of the new Goldberg Variations CD.  It got a
>good, but not spectacular, review.

Speaking of older ladies, anyone heard Maria Yudina's Goldbergs ? i think they
are about the most challening and stimulating I've ever heard and I include GG
in that outrageous sentence !!

Yudina was a legendary Russian pianist who was beloved by Stalin and she loathed
him in return and told him so. I don't really know enough about her to say any
more but DO listen if you can. Her Hammerklavier is said to be fascinating and
hypnotic too.

Neil
Neil (at home)    |http://www.thump.org
ICQ# - 11875525   |AOL IM - "imheifetz"