Re: Request for permission and contributions

Dear Angela,

	I've been meaning for ages to take a look at *The Last Puritan*, but other
things have always come up.  I suspect that many of us--and certainly
me!--would be interested in hearing more about the book, and hearing any
observations you had about how "Gouldian" it is.  Did Gould just steal the
title, or did he really identify with the book?  What made it so powerfully
appealing to him?

	Thanks, and happy reading!

Robert

----------
> From: Angela Sawyer <angela@musicfile.com>
> To: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
> Cc: bpl@umich.edu
> Subject: Re: Request for permission and contributions
> Date: Thursday, April 08, 1999 9:26 PM
>
>     The GG content here is rather obscure, but I'm directly in the middle
of
> reading George Santayana's "The Last Puritan" and I'm wondering if you
could
> tell me an odd detail about sailing.  Do sailors call the wind by the
> direction it's coming from, the direction it's going toward, or are there
> variety of traditions on how to talk about it?  That is to say, is are
> Newfoundlanders' south-west winds blowing against the Bay Du Nord or the
Dog