Re: GG RE: Howard Scott <query>

Junichi Miyazawa wrote:

> Anyway, tell me check the terminology of the staff:
>
> >  A.  Howard Scott, producer (it is you!);
>
> producer.

Yep.  He's the guy with the score and the one who makes
most of the jokes (I recall a reference in there about home gardening
and opium....or was it marijuana?).  The producer is something like
a film director.  He's first in the "chain of command" in the control
room.  His decisions (artistic and otherwise) are acted upon by the
others at the session.

> >  B.  a man who might have been in front of the tape deck;
> >with a cigarette between the fingers of his left hand (is he
> >a recording engineer?)

> recording engineer?

I'm not sure how Columbia designated these jobs exactly, but he
is what is typically called a "tape-op" (short for "tape operator").
His job is to run the tape machines, load and unload tape stock,
etc.

> >  C.  a man in front of the mixing console with moustach and a necktie,
> >  who had his shoulders massaged and
> >  was most probably be called "Fred"(is he a mixer, controlman?)
>
> engineer?  mixer?

Yes on both counts.  Sometimes also referred to as a "balance engineer".
This is the chief (or first) recording engineer.  He sets the balances of the
various microphone inputs and also performs equalization adjustments,
usually based upon his tastes and the specific requests of the producer.
There is a joking reference by Scott in the video that "I ask him to take out
some low end, but I'm sure he puts more in" or something to that effect.
The producer will typically make requests, but the engineer is the one
who actually manipulates the controls and gets specific sonic results.

> >  D.  a man behind "Fred" who massaged "Fred'"s shoulder
>
> assistant engineer

Yes.  Also known as the "second engineer".  We've talked about him before.
He has lots of responsibilities, but he's the least senior of all the control room
staff.  He has to do everything from set up microphones to documenting logsheets
to making tea to getting food to helping with tapes to giving backrubs.  And...
seconds have to do all this with a very positive attitude, for long hours and typically
for pretty low pay.  It's a demanding job and this guy appears to be doing all
of it very well!

Perhaps there are some folks at Sony in New York who would access to session
logs and other historical documents that would list all of the personnel for this
session.

cheers,
jh