Join the Cult! Terrorism-Free! Sacrifice-Lite!

So ... like ... what's wrong with a cult?

Our Western World has evolved into a Mall Culture of generic One-Size-Fits-Allishness. Musically, it's structured to sweep us and our wallets up into a tidal wave of the Lowest Common Denominator and the Overhyped, instantly forgettable Commercial Artist du Jour -- Jewel or Alanis or Celine or Britney or Ricky Martin.

So if this GGG Thang is a cult, it's a cult of folks who are looking for something in music, thought, art, the very experience of being human, that is a bit more eternal, a bit more perfect, a bit more enduring -- perhaps even a rare glimpse of Pure Beauty and Perfection itself!

Which makes a critique of "cultishness" a complaint that we're not riding the escalators at the Mall, we're not Getting with the Approved Mass Program, we're not ordering our thoughts and pleasures Off the Rack.

I am crazy about democracy, but it's an aberration of democracy to think it's a huge industrial cookie cutter which, when working properly, makes everyone's hearts and intellects and tastes uniform so we can all feel recognizeable and comfy with everyone. (How many reading this right now are wearing some garment that says Tommy Hilfiger or Boss in big letters?) Quite the contrary -- democracy and free societies, when working properly, should be the best possible fertilizer for diversity of taste, for lots of cults -- a Theremin cult, a GG cult, a Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys cult, a Donald Evans cult, a Flaco Jimenez cult ...

A critique that Glenn Gould fans gathering in Toronto are cultish -- well, it's a critique from someone on the Outside looking In. Inside, we don't sacrifice virgins or put poison gas in subways ... we share hearts which have been deeply moved by beautiful music performed by an inspired interpreter who was, by the by, a very interesting fellow. We put on a CD or some beloved old vinyl of Glenn and are wafted away to Transport, Ecstacy, Rapture.

If this be a cult, so be it! Where do I sign? What are the magic incantations? What's the secret handshake? Do we get to wear those pretty masks from "Eyes Wide Shut"? Can I be the Grand Krigat?

Bob
Elmer Elevator's Discount Prep:  http://www.javanet.com/~bobmer/

P.S. Hope you guys had a great time in Toronto. I was soooo tempted but had to pass ... Me and my sweetie are getting married Thursday and she wanted the W Thang.