Re: GG: and the Romantics

even if chopin was fond of bach, i dont think we can say that his use of
sixteenth notes reflect any link between their music. indeed, their music
is structually as different as possible.

my rough study just now of chps op 10 no 4 revealed not an impressive
amount of counterpoint. just because one uses sixteenth notes does not
meen one is polyphonic!

but its funny u mention "flight of the bumble bee". gould said once (in
connection with "so u want to write a fugue?") that "every fugue conceals
a secret flight". but the "bumble"s flight is not very secret (subtle?!),
and not so very fugueish (fugue means flight) in a polyfonic sense, so
from now on i think the bumble should be more humble...

to mr baldwin:
i think u misdefine texture when u say that "coloristic" traits gives
something to the texture in chps music; in music there are only two
elements making texture: harmony and melody. it is therefore also wrong to
say that harmony and melody constitutes two different textures.

my view is that bachs music is more emotional than chopins, because what
is "emotional" in his music is not abstracted from the music itself,
i.o.w. the musical structure. i think that as "a thinking preformer" gould
had very good reasons to loath chopins music; and i believe it made him a
*more* emotional musician.

andre