GG: Cadenzas

> Incidently, I love the cadenzas Gould wrote for the first; I studied the
> first at one time, and none of the three cadenzas that Beethoven wrote is
> really that satisfying.

A discussion of GG's cadenza can't go on without this famous GG quote
(borrowed from an earlier post by our own Junichi):
". . . Both [cadenzas for Beethoven's first concerto],
  in other words, effect an organic balance with the work,
  thereby of course denying the original purpose of cadenza
  writing as a virtuosic display.  At any event I have not yet
  requested the orchestra to file to the balcony while for three
  glorious minutes the piano is hung decorously from the chandelier."

That's very Gouldian. It's humorous, but it also demonstrates his point of
view about cadenzas and virtuosic displays.

For some reason, I can hear Liberace saying, "Put the candelabra on the
cadenza, George." :->

P.S. JOHN GRANT, DID YOU RECEIVE THIS ONE?!