Re: lute harpsichord?

At 10:54 PM 4/18/01 +0200, Juozas Rimas wrote:
In his last message to me, Jim mentioned Robert Hill playing Bach with a lute
harpsichord. I'd be grateful for an simple explanation of what it is.

A "lute harpsichord" (Lautenwerck) is a normal harpsichord except that the strings are made of gut instead of metal. (The dampers are usually a little different, too, due to the different resonance of those strings, but that's not so important.)

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
clavichord CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl
trumpet and organ: http://www.mp3.com/hlduo

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot