Re: Why 1981 Goldbergs better than 1955?

I don't think one is better than the other.

 I guess you would like more the one you heard first( at least
that is the way it is with me and 2 of my friends). I happen to heard
the 1981 version first, and it would always be the more lovely one.
I have a recording of the 1955 one and it is great too, in many ways
better than the 1981 version, it seems as if the articulation in the
1955 version makes it more clear. But the 1981 is richer in other things, to
me is freer, to Gould all the variations make more sense
arithmetically. But to other people it is different things. I have even heard
that some people think of the last Goldbergs as decadent
(I don't agree with that). But he chose to play the second version a lot
differently (which of course makes sense, because you wouldn't want to play
the same piece equally when you have the opportunity to record it twice),but
still convincing and beautifully.

Sara.