Re: Why 1981 Goldbergs better than 1955?

bobmer@JAVANET.COM writes:

I know one Lister claims to hear this heartbreaking quality also, I'm
wondering if anyone else does. Or is it just us missing him that seems to
make it sound that way?

You hit it right on the head.  If anyone needs more convincing, get the video
of the 1981 Goldbergs.  Concluding the final aria, he lowers his head further
than usual and gestures with his hands as if pushing away the piano.  To me
this suggests the harrowing tension of reluctantly saying goodbye to a loved
one.

Jonathan