A State of Mal Wonder

(JThank you,  Bradley.
(B (J
(B (JThis new analog to digital version has a good Yamaha piano sound as you mentioned. But it has lost the dynamic range. All the notes are beautiful and plain. Gould would not have allowed it to be published, if he were alive. And I am afraid that it might have a long range waw flatter in case it is as a historical "record" of his work.
(B (JI suppose you don't like any digital-made sound. "I've spent most of the past 17 years disliking this "performance"...it has sounded so ugly, more astringent than listenable."
(B (JThere are many reasons why people dislike Glenn Gould. In your case the reason has been an ugly sound. But I have never thought that the 81 version has a bad sound. Shortly before his 70'th birthday Sony tired to announce that you have been listening a wrong sound for these 20 years.
(B (J
(B (JAnyway the new false version is new, so "A State of Wonder" can't state "the complete Goldberg Variations 1955 & 1981". It should be called " the Goldberg Varitions 1955 & new 1981 version analog-recorded played by Glenn Gould edited by who engineers".
(B (J
(B (Jimyfujita
(B (J
(B (J