Re: A State of Mal Wonder

Now THAT is an interesting question!!! It kind of makes you wonder. I
would be pretty sure the answer is no, since he had tens of thousands of
dollars invested in his audio equipment, not to mention unlimited access
to the CBC/Columbia studios... I think very much the CD player was a
totally wacked-out invention at the time.

I think the real advantage to DDD recording was, as you said, the
ability to record in digital and thus remove the infernal background
tape hiss (although now I am searching out the rare GG concert and
recitals recorded on portable tape recorders - the background noise is
intolerable, but it somehow brings you closer to the performance!).

I seem to remember reading a review somewhere at the time that said CD
players would never replace Vinyl... that LP records would still sell
long past CDs. It didn't really pan out that way. But this was also
before the explosion in PC technology... I think it's safe to say that
the current PC configuration probably packed more editing and sound
capabilities than GG could ever dream of in his day. So it's all
relative!

Regards,
Matthew