GG & Perahia

Scott,
I am glad that you jumped in to this conversation about Perahia.  What you wrote about your personal experience with Perahia. was very interesting.  Your having taken a master class with him and collecting most of his albums puts you in a good position to voice your opinion which you did very nicely.

I have been looking for recordings of Perahia and other pianists as well because I feel that each has something to offer.  Most seem to be recording the music that they enjoy playing and hearing.  Therefore they won't all be recording the same composers.  To build a good library of Classical CDs, which I have been starting to do, it seems necessary to look at each pianist and what they are recording that I particularly enjoy. (I hope that I am making this clear, as I am not a writer). The Bach Concertos Nos. 3,5,6,7 were my first album of Perahia and like I said in my previous posting, I have enjoyed it very much.  Having said that, the comparison that I made with GG recording of the same Concerto convinced me that even though I enjoy the Perahia recording very much and play it very often I still enjoy the way that GG plays Bach and would like to try something else that Perahia has recorded.

I thank you and Bradley for providing me with some suggestions.  I see that you both have mentioned your #2 Mendelssohn and on amazon today I noticed your #5 Songs w/o Words and thought it would be a good one to have.  It always is such a help to have some input when trying to make a selection.

For me though, GG is Bach and you can call it my opinion.  I can not help it, his playing of Bach is what I love to hear.  I have been a Bach fan since I  took piano lessons and my teacher said to me, "If you want to hear someone play Bach buy a recording of Glenn Gould".  Now that was her opinion.  I wouldn't be on this F_Minor list if I didn't like GG very, very much.

Taking things in stride.
--- Fred Stubbings
--- velfred@earthlink.net