Re: GG: Timothy Maloney interview -- world first for f-minor

Hello All,

Three out of seven responses asked for the interview in one go, so here
it is. Many thanks to all who responded.

Thanks once again to Tim Maloney, and to Andrew Ford and all at ABC's The
Music Show, without whom this posting would not exist. The Show is always
interesting -- pity it's not available outside Australia, although you
can read about it at:

<http://www.abc.net.au/rn/music/mshow/>

I hope you all enjoy the full interview as much as I did. Best regards to
all,

Tim Conway
Broome, WA, Oz

Glenn Gould ? the Timothy Maloney (TM) interview on the ABC¹s The Music
Show on Saturday 9th October 1999, producers Maureen Cooney and Penny
Lomax. The interviewer is Andrew Ford (AF).
_____________________________

[Piano music fades away]

AF:	They were the third, fourth and fifth of the Goldberg Variations by
Bach, recorded in 1981 by Glenn Gould. They were the piece that had made
Gould almost a household name overnight in the mid-1950s with his
original Columbia recording, and then he recorded it again, and a lot of
people think it¹s the last recording he made, which is not quite true,
it¹s not even the last piano recording he made, but the very last
recording that Glenn Gould made was as a conductor, music by Wagner, and
I have sitting with me in the studio now a man who played on that
recording, Timothy Maloney. Welcome to The Music Show.

TM:	Thank you so much.

AF:	Timothy Maloney is the director of the music division, research and
information, of the National Library of Canada, and I guess he...you¹re
actually responsible for overseeing the Gould archive, are you?

TM:	I am, exactly.

AF:	Right. The reason that we wanted to talk to you today is because of
the theory which has been around for a few years now that Gould had a
particular disease. In Peter F Ostwald¹s book, Glenn Gould -- The Ecstasy
and Tragedy of Genius, he quotes Gould¹s father describing Gould as a
baby humming instead of crying (I¹m sure a lot of mothers out there would
wish they had one like that), constantly fluttering his fingers and
flapping his arms around, and Ostwald said this could possibly be
interpreted as a form of infantile autism, except that obviously if Gould
had been autistic he would never have been able to achieve all of the
things he did achieve, and instead Ostwald punts for this thing called
Asperger¹s Syndrome, which I have to confess I hadn¹t heard of until
then, and you have followed this up.

TM:	I have...

AF:	Is it connected to autism?

TM:	Ostwald calls it a variant of autism, and one of the main elements in
which it varies from autism is that the onset of symptoms is typically
later, whereas the classic autism comes on as an infant and it¹s pretty
obvious early on that there are developmental problems in a child with
classic autism. But with Gould many of these symptoms became only visible
or...or perceived as he entered his young adulthood (and perhaps a little
earlier) but many of his so-called eccentricities became more pronounced
during adulthood.

AF:	And these were as a result of the Asperger¹s Syndrome, do you think?

TM:	I think it all fits the pattern, as far as I¹m concerned. Now I must
confess I¹m not a medical professional...

AF:	So what would some of these characteristics be?

TM:	Well, I gave a talk recently in Toronto at a big Gould conference,
and I had very limited time because I was on a panel with other people,
so I went down a very quick list of traits -- characteristics -- of the
disease and made a few notes about each, and then mentioned how I felt
Gould...how they applied to Gould. So, among the traits:

**	an inability to interact normally with other humans;
**	intolerance to change;
**	a prodigious memory;
**	amazing powers of concentration;
**	remarkable talents (many times);
**	elaborate rituals and routines that such people go through;
**	some physical clumsiness;
** some stereotyped movements (we can come back and discuss these in more
detail)...

AF:	Mmm.

TM:	**	...unusual responses to sensory stimuli, and unusual
preoccupations or obsessions;
**	intellectual curiosity coupled with what I call moral severity, and
**	inability to take criticism.

	There are numerous others but those are the ones that I dealt with.

AF:	Well, they all seem to apply to Gould, don¹t they? -- every single
one of those things.

TM:	Indeed. For me, the more I read about Asperger¹s Syndrome the more
moments of ³aha!² I had and it just fit Gould to a T. Not only that but
it wraps it all up -- all of the eccentricities and things for which he
has, I think, suffered greatly at the hands of critics and even fans over
the years. All of it seems to fall under one or another of these
characteristic traits of Asperger¹s Syndrome.

AF:	How might this have affected the actual music-making that, you know,
the...the playing that he is famous for, the kind of playing that we¹ve
just heard, apart from the fact that, clearly, nearly fifty years after
being a baby he was still humming.

TM:	Well, funny you should ask. Among the characteristics of sufferers of
Asperger¹s Syndrome is an ability, for example, to see the structure in
things that absorb them and things that grab their attention. For
example, among the superior talents of many people with Asperger¹s
Syndrome are either computational abilities, wonderful in math,
just...you know, like the character in the Rainman movie, the Dustin
Hoffman character, who could count playing cards, multiple decks at a
time and made a lot of money for his brother. Other kinds of talents
include musical or artistic. There are case studies of young Asperger¹s
sufferers who, upon glancing at a very detailed diagram or a large
full-scale view such as a cityscape or the Grand Canyon, can then render
it absolutely beautifully in a drawing within minutes thereafter. Never
having taken any art lessons in their lives, they can retain it in all
its detail for years thereafter, and so there is this ability on the one
hand to -- at a glance -- absorb it all, and at the other hand to keep it
forever.

	With Gould, he picked a certain kind of music as his principal music. It
was largely the contrapuntal music, Bach being his favourite, but
Schönberg, Hindemith, even Strauss, wrote a lot of contrapuntal music --
others [were] Krenek, et cetera -- so it was music of a certain type,
highly constructed and very clear structures involved and he could absorb
all this at once, and he could talk about these pieces.

	If you¹ve ever heard any of the radio programmes or the television
interviews, say with Humphrey Burton, or with Bruno Monsaingeon in
Paris...he could go to the piano and illustrate anything at any moment,
you know the...some kind of a contrapuntal effect or a fugal effect in
any of the partitas, or fugues from the Well-Tempered Clavier, et cetera,
it was all in his head forever. So he concentrated very heavily on the
structure of these things. I think he intuited them, as he played, as he
studied them beforehand...and, they stayed with him. And, of course, he
concentrated on that in his renditions of them. He was a structural
pianist; he concentrated very much on the structure of the pieces, and
rendered them in that way. He tended not to do the flowing sort of
romantic tradition of piano playing, which often ignored structure or
played games with it. And so, again, he fit that pattern to a T.

AF:	And indeed he had kind of strong, forceful, not to say wilfully odd
opinions about a lot of the music that he played...and didn¹t play as
well. I mean, he said that Beethoven was the only composer in history
whose reputation depended almost entirely upon gossip, and that Mozart
should have died earlier.

TM:	Indeed, yes. He was unkind to -- particularly -- Mozart, and his
recordings of late Mozart and late Beethoven, of course, were the ones
that gathered him absolutely the worst criticisms. I think it was his
second commercial disk in the 1950s, the three last sonatas of Beethoven,
and he was trashed for them. And perhaps justifiably so -- he had very
strange ideas. But this was not -- how can I call it? --  this was not
only contrapuntal music. Naturally, both of those composers turned to
contrapuntal structures more in their later years than before, but it
wasn¹t the clear structure of Bach, and so there was a more linear
quality to it and, funnily enough, people with Asperger¹s have much more
difficulty in absorbing and appreciating things in a linear manner or in
a sequential manner.

	There is one very high-functioning autistic person who¹s written a lot
about her experiences, et cetera, who says, for example, that Shakespeare
never made any sense to her. It was far too sequential and too many
things were going on. She can absorb and understand a Gothic romance, a
very simple straightforward novel, but anything with a lot of ins and
outs and characters coming in and leaving again, et cetera, she has
trouble with. And I suspect that Gould, who was...well, he had great
difficulty, for example, with sonata form; he thought it was highly
over-rated, for example. Well, this is a more sequential kind of form --
it¹s not all of that information being put out instantly through all the
voices in a contrapuntal manner that one finds in Bach or in Hindemith or
in Schönberg.

AF:	That¹s very interesting. Gould, of course, retired from giving
concerts in 1964 -- I think most people know that about Glenn Gould, that
he retreated into the recording studio. He was intending -- he announced
-- that after his fiftieth birthday he would actually give up playing the
piano completely, and of course in a sense he did because he died just
after his fiftieth birthday, so he didn¹t play the piano any more, but he
was going to become a conductor...

TM:	Yes.

AF:	...at that point, and then he¹d also said that after doing that for a
while he would give up the conducting and concentrate on composing and
writing. Alas, of course, he didn¹t make it that far, but he did conduct
for one recording and you played at it. I think perhaps we should listen
to a little bit of the music before we talk about that. It¹s music by
Wagner, it¹s the Siegried Idyll, and it is one of the slo...no, it is the
slowest performance ever recorded of this piece.

[The Siegfried Idyll is played. It fades out after a few minutes.]

AF:	Members of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra conducted by Glenn Gould in
the slowest-ever recording of Wagner¹s Siegfried Idyll and it was made,
really, just weeks before Gould¹s death. It was his debut as a conductor
in the recording studio and it was also his very last recording, and
playing first clarinet there was Timothy Maloney. Timothy, can you tell
me... Can you describe the occasion? What do you remember of it?

TM:	Oh, quite a lot. How much time have we got? [Laughter]. It happened
over the course of three evenings in the summer of...end of July, early
August, in Toronto. It was taped in an old historic building in downtown,
called the St Lawrence Hall, and in fact we joked about a name for the
ensemble when things were getting late and we were going into overtime
and everybody was tired and... Gould had some of the best ideas, of
course. He was a wonderful wit. And so one of his, I think, very fine
ideas for a name for the group was the Academy of St Lawrence in the
Market because it was right near the marketplace in Toronto.

	Anyway, he arrived each evening in a long stretch-limo driven by an
associate, and he would emerge looking like the male equivalent of a
bag-lady: layers of shapeless clothing on, multiple jackets, multiple
shirts, multiple pants held up with rope, carrying a big green garbage
bag with his score and pens and paraphernalia in it. As the evening wore
on he would shed layers of clothing. But: he was animated, he was
resourceful, he was in control of the whole thing, both from the point of
view of recording levels and the music and the bowings and the breathings
and...everything. He was sharp.

	He looked ghastly. I remember remarking to myself... I had seen him
years before on the street in Toronto one time but I had never met him,
had never been in close quarters with him for any length of time, so this
was my first real meeting with Glenn Gould, [in the] summer of ?82, and
the first night I laid eyes on him I said, ³My God, that man does not
look well². He was absolutely pale. He had never been in the sun for
years. He was a night person, and he was hunch-shouldered, and paunchy,
and balding and absolutely pasty-faced and he looked just like death
warmed-over. He certainly had energy during those few evenings we were
together, but within months thereafter he was dead.

	The actual music-making was of the highest order. It was clear that... I
think all of the musicians in the room realised that, you know, they
were...this was a special event and they were in the room with greatness
with this man. And no matter how eccentric he might appear, we all
focussed on the job at hand -- we were happy to. He was a joy to work
with, and it was quite special.

AF:	Did he explain to the players why his interpretation of this piece
was so slow?

TM:	No.

AF:	Do you think it was anything to do...I mean, because you said he knew
all about the breathing and bowing... I mean there would have to be a lot
more bowing and breathing than usual in this piece because of the tempo.

TM:	Indeed.

AF:	I mean, there¹s a famously-long second-horn note in this piece which
goes on for pages, and even if you play the piece at a normal tempo it¹s
almost impossible for the horn player to do it. But a horn player would
clearly have breathed in a couple of places to get that -- in the middle
of the note! -- so Gould must have been aware of that. Do you think he
was trying to inject more kind of punctuation into the music?

TM:	[Sighs] I honestly can¹t say. I do know that he had a penchant for
playing pieces that he found particularly interesting as slow as he
possibly could and, conversely, pieces in which he had little interest
he would race through and dash them off, and it was just one of these
perverse qualities of the man. We definitely had to find new places to
breathe in our lines; the strings definitely had to find new places to
change bowings, change direction in bowings, and in some cases try to
make it as surreptitious as they could, so it did impose new problems on
us. Absolutely.

AF:	Well, you talked earlier about Asperger¹s Syndrome. As diseases go it
sounds like quite a good one to have.

TM:	Well, the powers of concentration and memory, and the intuitive
ability to understand the structures behind whatever one is concentrating
on, whatever is one¹s focus or main interest -- it¹s definitely a gift,
and there are other Asperger¹s sufferers or reputed Asperger¹s sufferers
who have also gone on to do great things, and these include: Bartok --
the composer, Bela Bartok; Alfred Einstein is widely considered by the
Asperger¹s and autistic community to have been an Asperger¹s sufferer;
Vladimir Nabokov, the novelist; and the philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein
-- all of these people had many of the same kinds of symptoms as Gould
and they went on, of course, to do wonderful things in their domains. So
they have a focus, they have a mental acuity which many of the rest of
us, no matter how well we do in our chosen fields, can only hope to
approximate, and perhaps, though there are deficits in some parts of
their make-up, there are these tremendous advantages in others.

AF:	Timothy Maloney, thank you very much for coming on The Music Show,...

TM:	My pleasure.

AF:	...it¹s been a very interesting conversation. Timothy Maloney is the
director of the music division of the National Library of Canada. He¹s
actually in Australia at the moment because this afternoon he is
addressing the Music Council of Australia in Sydney on the matter of
arts-funding in Canada, which I imagine is as parlous as it is here.
Thank you very much for coming in.

TM:	Thanks for having me.

[Blurb for next week¹s interview, then programme ends with Gould playing
the final movement of Prokofiev¹s 7th piano sonata]