From: Bradley Lehman [mailto:bpl@umich.edu]
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 5:36 PM
To: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu; Michael Arnowitt
Subject: Re: GG Goldberg 81 Question

>In this same store in Montreal, I was able to pick up a copy of the 1959
>Salzburg live performance that Bradley mentioned in another post.  As a
>pianist myself, kind of nice to hear GG flub a few notes in the Goldbergs
in
>that performance...the guy's human!  Anyway, this *was* a Sony release.  Is
>this another one that's not available in the US?

Sony has released the Goldbergs from that 8/25/59 concert (and I assume it's
also available in the US...Amazon has it...Sony 52685) but it's coupled with
a live set of three-part Inventions from Moscow.

The rest of the Salzburg recital was pressed at least twice by
Frequenz/Memoria (1986, 1991) but still hasn't been back from Sony:

Sweelinck Fantasia
Schoenberg Suite Op 25
Mozart Sonata #10 in C, K 330
[Goldbergs]

The suite and sonata of course duplicate studio repertoire from Columbia
(twice on the K 330), but are interpreted quite differently.

The notes in the GG Edition Byrd/Gibbons disc (released 6/29/93, including a
1964 CBC performance of the Sweelinck) say the Salzburg version is "due for
release at a later date".  That was almost seven years ago already....

Bradley Lehman, http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
Dayton VA