Re: Improving Your Perceptions through Glenn Gould

Actually, for me it's the other way around: I realize how mortal I am
once I listen to Glenn playing multi-voice fugues with amazing clarity.
I have a friend that used to do his homework while watching baseball
scores on TV, reading the newspaper, and talking to his mother on the
phone, all the while carrying on a conversation with me. This seems to
be something he learned while living in Toronto growing up in a social
atmosphere.

Me, if I'm talking on the phone and my wife walks up and says something
to me, I quite literally lose all track of what I'm saying - for about 3
seconds I can't remember who I'm talking to or what I was talking about.
A complete phase shift occurs. It makes me wonder if I'm ever going to
get past the second fugue in the FTC (what my friend and I called the
Foul Tempered Clavier, or the WTC played by Gould complete with mumbling
and gesticulation).

So no, I don't believe gould when he says we can all do this to some
degree - I think he is a genius and no other mortal can come close to
that. (I have heard he is working as a short order cook in Tennessee
with Elvis, though - but no confirmation on that yet).

cheers,
Matthew Harding
ktlgroup@sprint.ca